I know I’ve been neglecting this webpage and my Facebook page in favor of Instagram lately.
Sorry about that, but it’s easier and more interactive.
That said, here are a few of the pieces I’ve finished this month that I haven’t posted yet. You can find larger images of each here.
Bunnies, bunnies, bunnies…I know, but I see them in my yard every day and they in the mythology of just about everything I care about.
I still haven’t had the time to finish the very large and elaborate pieces I posted studies of in December.
Some day, soon I hope.
As of now, most of the things I’ve posted this year and most of things coming up will be in a Milwaukee show in June.
More details on that when they are settled.
If you like my postcard boxes, Volume 1 is officially out of print.
Sparrow Collective and the Waxwing got the last copies a few weeks ago.
I have no plans to reprint them as they are nothing like what I started doing shortly after I made them.
I will hopefully have news about a collaboration with Orange Pops this spring.
Time will tell.
I made this really quickly on a day where I didn’t have anything else to work on.
It’s supposed to represent three conflicting feelings about the mouse.
Strangely enough, this started out with me wanting to try and make skirt with more details.
After the study I did a few weeks ago, I made a small fern papercut as a gift, and I decided that I wanted to use a fern as a bottom border.
Then a broad mix of Japanese and Norse folklore and mythology took over.
This took a long time to cut out because when it was printed, they decided to upgrade the paper quality without asking me and what I got was so dense, that it was very difficult to cut.
Anyway, I think it turned out pretty good despite the setback.
Still, I hope to not use this paper again.
Last week I had my latest design printed so I could cut it out.
As if often the case, the woman didn’t understand my printing preferences and decided that she’d give me a deal and print it on extra thick, high quality paper.
Unfortunately for me, the medium she choose made them very difficult and time consuming to cut out.
In addition, it made taking them to work, to work on (I have a day job) unreasonable.
So I had a lot of time to kill at work since I had planned to work on this new large papercut.
As a joke I made a sad armadillo with a big ‘A’ behind it.
I was amused enough to continue through the letter’L’ and started cutting them out that night.
Slightly less than a week later, I’m up to ‘F’.
Sadly, I’m more eager to get back to cutting out my designs than continue with the alphabet, but I did storyboard up to ‘Z’…
… maybe later this year.
I took a break from making work for the “tiny art” show so that I could finish designing fronts and backs for collections of my postcards.
I decided to use original art that I hadn’t used for other purposes before and Katurah and I finalized the design and layout over the weekend.
Each volume will contain 10 sequential postcards & envelopes, plus the front and back cards and will housed in an acrylic box similar to most card collections. All postcards are the same as the ones I have for sale with the exception of #1, which is out of print, and #21, which was a limited edition. They will contain slightly different reprints of those two.
With luck, these should be for sale in about 2 weeks.
See a larger image here.
This is the second of the pieces potentially going to the “tiny art @ tiny prices” show at the Art Bar. I say potentially because there is the possibility that I wont get enough made.
I designed something similar to this a few years ago and never cut it out. In the original, it was skeleton and a field worker with a hoe was pulling the hand reaching up like it was a weed.
There isn’t the space in these small pieces to add much detail or symbolism. This is only 2.5″ x 2.5″.
Not much going on here beyond the “child naive to tragedy or danger” theme that I often portray.
That kitty knows though.
You will be missed.