UntitledI designed some very large pieces over the last few months.
I have been doing small details of them to sort out the scale and problem areas.
I’m still not happy with the final design for my sad letterpress bunny, but this detail study turned out nice.
Hopefully the full piece will be realized soon.

Some people don’t understand what I mean by scale.
The tether and ribs of the lantern on the left and the ribbons on the maypole on the right are the smallest parts of the papercut I’m making.
To determine the size of the finished piece, I need to know how small I can properly cut them out.
I will make one or two pieces to determine the scale the smallest piece needs to be in order to know the size of the finished work.
Often the theme of the finished piece is not reflected in the scale study, therefor I will sometimes create a new symbolism in the study that has no place in the parent piece.

Gardening At NightApparently some rural Wisconsin folks don’t learn from their mistakes of the past.
This spring, for the second time in three years, my neighbor let someone kill a large population of coyotes and a few foxes on his property adjacent to mine.
Fast forward a couple months and, presto, a giant, and virtually uncontrolled, rabbit population.
We planted a full garden this year that was reduced to nothing but onions and thyme in a matter of weeks.
I made this as kind of a joke, but I decided to try out the double pane of glass idea that I used a while back and it worked well.
Now I just need to try it on a large piece.

I’ve been really busy lately and haven’t been able to keep up with posts on here.
These are all things that I’ve been working on.
A month or so ago, Amity Skateboards contacted me to design a board for them. The parameters were right up my alley, “Do whatever you want.”.
I was having trouble incorporating their old logo of a pine tree into the design, so I made a nautical themed logo.
Luckily they liked it and it will be used on the deck.
The heart with the f-holes was just me messing around with ideas.
The blindfolded bunny holding a plant that grows fire is a study for a larger piece on life and fertility.
I’ll post either that one or more letters next.
There will also be a new postcard collection soon. Some of the cards were misprinted and I’m waiting for the corrected order to arrive.

All's Well That EndsI was going to try and attempt to enter a Strathmore Paper contest, but after this trial, I’m not sure the detail is going to work for me.
I’ll give it another shot after I cut colored paper for two other cuts I finished last week.

The Sweet Teeth A - FLast week I had my latest design printed so I could cut it out.
As if often the case, the woman didn’t understand my printing preferences and decided that she’d give me a deal and print it on extra thick, high quality paper.
Unfortunately for me, the medium she choose made them very difficult and time consuming to cut out.
In addition, it made taking them to work, to work on (I have a day job) unreasonable.
So I had a lot of time to kill at work since I had planned to work on this new large papercut.
As a joke I made a sad armadillo with a big ‘A’ behind it.
I was amused enough to continue through the letter’L’ and started cutting them out that night.
Slightly less than a week later, I’m up to ‘F’.
Sadly, I’m more eager to get back to cutting out my designs than continue with the alphabet, but I did storyboard up to ‘Z’…
… maybe later this year.

I Can Tell I'm Not Dreaming / Half Past TwoI’ll be working on a large papercut for a while so I decided to post two small things.
The one on the left is a study for the large piece I’ll be working on. The finished character will have different hands, ears and skirt.
The piece on the right is something I made really quickly as a gift for a baby shower. I was trying to use the darker green to simulate thick glass and water. I’m not sure the thick glass element works, but oh well.